Thursday, October 21, 2021

Home Improvements

Andy and I have been busy with various projects around the house and renovations. For a while, we have wanted to add more living space to our 1,100 sq ft house. We decided to turn our garage that we have never used, into a second family room. First job was clean it all our of our stuff, and tools, snowblower, rakes etc. Fitst thing we did was buy a shed! We had to fit everything from the garage in their. We soon realized how much stuff we had that we didn't need or could fit into the shed. So, we got a dumpster and through out 1,000 lbs worth of stuff! What a great feeling. Here is the before picture.




And after! I LOVE the finished product. We really wanted a second living room as the kids where getting older, and this was exactly what I had in mind. At first, I wanted a greyish color floor, but after a long time going over colors and patterns, Andy and I found this one and we loved it. It is vinyl and waterproof. It really was better than I expected. Love it.


This right here was my Mom's masterpiece. She and my Dad came to all the planning meetings and had some input. My Mom found something very similar to this in a magazine and showed it to us and and we both liked it. With Brian getting older and needed to have more space and room for homework and projects. Also, with Andy working from home, he needed his own space for his computer and all his screens he needs for work. My Mom came up with the idea to put a window between the desk. I think it adds a nice touch. It has been nice to come down and see Andy and Brian working side by side on his work.


Originally we weren't going to have any windows, but my Dad came up with the idea to put some in and I loved it. Having natural light really adds to the room. Out of all the things we did, watching the man put in the windows and cut through the wall and cement, was the most fun. It was quite the process. 


Our contractor Dave came up with this idea to put in a sitting bench and have it be a place for the kids for shoes. I really like. What nice window to look out of each morning.



Before and After for our house. Good bye garage door and hello door and two new windows. So all and all we put in 4 new windows! Seeing this transformation made it real! It made it look like a brand new house. 



Before and after. Yes, the before pictures where really that BAD. New floors, window, steps. 



I really wanted a place for Annie to put her toys and also play. This was all my husbands idea. He wanted shelves to put all of the kids board games and also smaller shelves to put all of the kids book. I really this area and Brian and spend lots of hours playing down here.


Better picture of he play area.


Andy also wanted a broom closet and we have a nice one for all our brooms and vacuum. We are still waiting to put up shelves ourself.





The before laundry room pictures. It was really really bad, I am so very happy with the finished product.




Annie said the laundry room was all mine :) At first we where going to stack our washer and dryer on top of each other, but our contractor talked us into doing it this way and I love it. I wanted deep drawers for my laundry baskets. The shelves are great too. It is my new food storage and pantry area. I actually enjoyu laundry now.


The tile was hard to pick. I went to home depot with Andy and face timed my mom with all the selections. I liked this one and my mom talked me into. I love it.




Side shot with more storage and the door to the crawl space. My Mom talked me into the blue color and I love it. The laundry room is perfect and what I always wanted.



Dave our contractor and all the hard work! It was really exciting to see the whole process and see where we started and where we got!


We got Brian really involved in the process too. Dave offered to pay him if he clean up and Bri worked hard! 



My Dad did all the sanding, priming and painting. He really worked hard and it looks so good. I am so glad he did such a great job.


Of course, if Papa does something, Brian jr helps too.


The tile master at work.
So after it was all done, a new laundry room, new family room and new play room and one happy family.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment